Medina County Sanitary Engineers

Frequently Asked Questions



*All pricing information is subject to change without notice. Please call our office at (330)723-9585 for up-to-date pricing information.
Q: What does the County charge for the water? A: The current rate is $6.70 per 1,000 gallons of water plus a water debt fee based on meter size. A typical family of four uses about 7,000 gallons of water per month. *
Q: What is the water debt fee? A: A fee included in the monthly water bill dedicated to the debt retirement for construction projects (i.e. water towers, pump stations, fire hydrants, and transmission lines) provided by the County of Medina based on customer meter size.
Q: What does it cost to connect? A: Please contact the Permit Department at 330-723-9581 or 330-723-9599 for the most current connection fees. *
Q: What Fees Are Involved? A: See a description of fees here.
Q: Do I have to pay these costs if I don't connect? Will the price go up in the future? A: No, homeowners do not have to pay the charges if they do not connect. The price charged for construction is set by the County Board of Commissioners and is based on actual construction costs and is subject to change as construction prices change over time.
Q: Who pays for the connection from the street to my home? A: The homeowner will need to hire a contractor registered with the County to install the connection. The costs will vary depending on site conditions. *
Q: What type and size of pipe will I need to run to my house? A: Our water department personnel will size your line for you based on the water pressure in your location and the information you provide at the time of permit application. The typical service connection is 1" diameter. Service connections must be type K copper when the meter is installed in the house. Type K copper is required to an outside meter but 200 psi plastic pipe is acceptable after the meter vault.
Q: Who bores under the street if the waterline is on the opposite side of the road? A: Your contractor will excavate the access pits for the County's bore machine to bore under the road. The cost of the bore is included in your connection fee.
Q: Does the County offer financing? A: Financing is available only for new water main construction at the time it is made available to new customers. The County will not finance construction fees for existing waterlines.
Q: Is there a penalty if we do not hook up? A: There is a delayed tap-in charge of $4 per month that accumulates until the time of connection. The charge was established to assist in paying for the water towers, pump stations, over-sized lines and hydrants installed for fire protection that is available to every home whether connected to the waterline or not. The fee is only collected when a home connects to the waterline. *
Q: Where does Medina County get their water? A:In the county's northern water system, water from Lake Erie is treated by the City of Avon Lake and delivered into Medina County through three (3) separate transmission lines. In the southern part of the county, water is supplied by wells then treated and distributed to our customers.
Q: When do I need an outside meter and vault? A: In General, outside meters are required when a house is set more than 150 feet back from the street, for slab homes, or if you have a pond in front of your home.
Q: Will public water bring more development to our area? A: In areas not served with public sewers, lot sizes must remain large to accommodate septic systems. A public water supply can make an area more desirable but will not necessarily increase the density of development.
Q: Can I keep my well or cistern? A: A well or cistern can be kept in service as long as it is not physically connected to any plumbing that is connected to Medina County's water system. You must get a permit from the County Health Department to alter or abandon your water well or cistern when making connection to the county water main.
Q: What Does "Boil Alert" Really Mean? A: See a description here
Q: What Are Some Ways I Can Conserve Water? A: Here is a list of some ideas
Q: What Should I know About Lead In My Drinking Water? A: Some facts about lead here
Q: What should I do if I have a sewer backup? A: Please contact our office at 330-723-9585. If during normal business hours, our service personnel can check the sanitary sewer main to be sure it is flowing free and unobstructed. They can help you to answer questions regarding any complaint history, assist in finding exterior clean outs for access to the sanitary lateral (if record location is known), and in determining the length of the sanitary lateral from the house to the MCSE sewer main. If referred to a plumber, we recommend you share this information so the plumber can respond with the appropriate equipment to snake and clear the full lateral length from the house plumbing to the sanitary sewer main.

If after normal business hours, please contact our EMERGENCY after hours operator at 330-723-9585 to assess the need for an emergency "on-call" response. Our staff will not perform a service call after hours if our assessment of the call indicates the problem lies within the private service connection, otherwise MCSE can bill for the after-hours service if the homeowner insists upon a service call.
Q: Whose responsibility is it to repair and maintain the sewer? A: The County is responsible for the maintenance, repair, and replacement of the sanitary sewer main and the laterals within the public right-of-way. The homeowner is responsible for the maintenance of the sanitary lateral from the home plumbing to the MCSE sanitary sewer main. It is your plumber's responsibility to snake the full length of the sanitary lateral from the house plumbing to the MCSE sewer main so that any solids, grease, and/or roots affecting the connection are purged to the sewer main. If the plumber internally televises the sanitary lateral, we recommend you request a copy of the videotape/DVD as part of their service call. If the plumber finds open joints, broken pipe, etc., and recommends repair or replacement of the sanitary lateral, please contact our Permits Division at (330) 723-9581, or (330) 723-9599 for permit and inspection requirements before scheduling the work. If the plumber believes the repair area is within the public right-of-way, and thereby, is the County's responsibility to address, we request that the location be marked/flagged at grade, and a copy of the videotape/DVD be provided to MCSE.
Q: What is the primary reason for a sewer back-up? A: The disposal of cooking grease is the most common cause of sewer back-up. Once grease begins to accumulate in the lateral, over time it will often collect more grease and solids, growing in size, until it blocks the ability for wastewater to flow through the lateral. Root intrusion into the sanitary lateral can create similar problems. Left unattended, the roots can grow dense and obstruct the normal wastewater flow. Grease and solids can collect and build up on the roots. When the lateral becomes blocked, untreated wastewater can back up into your home. Roots are consdered a maintenance item and can be removed by your plumber when servicing the sanitary lateral.
Q: What can I do to prevent a sewer back-up? A:
  • Avoid pouring cooking grease down the drain. Instead, pour grease into a can or jar and dispose of it in the trash.
  • Use the garbage disposal sparingly, and while operating the garbage disposal, run cold water the entire time. Avoid using the disposal for waste that is too large or too hard to be ground thoroughly.
  • Use a drain screen to catch hair, lint and other debris in sinks, tubs, and floor drains.
  • Avoid flushing diapers, paper towels, sanitary napkins, washing machine lint, or other debris down the toilet, even if their label advertises the product as "flushable".
  • Periodically check any clean-out caps to make sure they are secure, and that no debris can enter into it.
  • Cap floor drains if no other plumbing fixtures are on the basement level.
  • Check that your home's downspouts and footer drains are not illegally connected into your home's sanitary lateral. During rain events, the "clean" water can overwhelm the lateral.
  • If you have trees above or near to your sanitary lateral, perform periodic maintenance to prevent root intrusion.
  • Do not pour oil, grease, antifreeze, cleaning fluids, thinners, paints, solvents, or other similar chemicals in the floor drain. Contact the Central Processing Facility for household hazardous waste disposal options at 330-723-0289.
  • If you have a backwater valve, conduct routine maintenance.
Q: Who will reimburse me for damages suffered as a result of a sewer back-up? A: The County will refer you to your homeowners' insurance company for assistance with cleaning services and/or damage claims. Please be aware that basic homeowners' policies typically do not cover sewer back-ups. Instead, many insurance companies offer riders that can be purchased in addition to the basic policy to insure loss due to sewer back-ups. Please review your insurance coverage with your agent. The County is generally not held liable for damages resulting from a sewer back-up even if the backup originates in the MCSE sanitary sewer main.
Q: What should I do if I smell a sewer gas odor? A: Sewer gas odor is often attributed to dry traps. We recommend that you check little used fixtures and run water to fill the traps built into their plumbing systems. Pour a bucket of water into floor drains to similarly fill the traps. If the odors continue, we recommend that you check the sanitary vent stack on the roof. It is possible the vent stack has become obstructed, or partially obstructed, which is affecting your home's plumbing operations.
*All pricing information is subject to change without notice. Please call our office at (330)723-9585 for up-to-date pricing information.
© 2010 Medina County Sanitary Engineers
Valid XHTML 1.1 Valid CSS 2